The Fort William stands solemnly on the Western bank of The Ganga. It stretches from the Western flank of the Red Road.
The Battle of Plassey ended in June, 1757. Robert Clive was deeply worried about the British destiny and what lay in store for Calcutta because the erstwhile fragile fort was easily captured by Siraj-ud-daula. Consequently, Clive decided to build a formidable fort to resist enemy onslaughts effectively.
On account of their victory in the Battle of Plassey, the British received a whopping 75,00,000 silver coins. After a few days, they received another 4000,000 coins. With this money, started the mammoth task of building the fort. Previously this place was a hamlet named Gobindapur. The local people were evicted from this place after paying a nominal compensation money. The 'Thakur' family had meanwhile abandoned Gobindapur and came to stay at Sutanuti. The construction of the fort was rounded off in 1781. This was renamed Fort William after the erstwhile fort of the same name. The fort was octagonal with three sides facing the river Ganga. Five other sides were towards the Maidan. Ditches surrounded the fort which covered 2½ square miles. They could be filled with river water as and when required. Inside the Fort is the St. Peter's Church which was constructed in 1928. Swimming pool, Boxing stadium, Firing Range and other necessary arrangements are present within the Fort. There is also a provision for ten thousand interns of the Fort. The Fort has huge archways, one of which is known as 'Plassey Gate'. It is said that this is the only Fort in the world from where not a single bullet or cannon-ball has ever been shot.